Tuesday, July 14, 2009

definition of mother

I just want to share with you what I've read recently... definitely for all mothers out there... do not shy to admit you are a mother or a housewife.. :) I quote one paragraph,

".... at our City Hall. The clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed of high-sounding title, like "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar." "And what is your occupation?" she probed. What made me say it, I don't know. It simply popped out. "I'm ..... a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations." The clerk paused, pen in hand frozen in mid-air, and looked up as though she had not heard me right. I repeated the title slowly, emphasising the significant words.

Then I stared at wonder as my pompous pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire. "Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you do in your field?" Coolly, without a trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research (what mother doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field (normally I would have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Master (the whole darned family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most of the run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are in satisfaction rather than just money."

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door. As I drove into our driveway buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants - ages 13,7, and 3. And upstairs hear our new experimental model (six months) in the child development program, testing out a new vocal pattern. I felt triumphant. I had scored records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another...."

After reading this article I'm honoured to be a mother... Do you??

* Mychild Malaysia magazine June/July issue

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.