Saturday, July 23, 2011

My story...

Here I would love to share my medical experience with a government hospital in Alor Setar, Kedah. Since, this is my first experience using the facility.I was admitted on 7th June 2011 due to water breaking. My husband send me to the hospital from our house. The journey took us about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Compared to last time labour experience, the journey from house to hospital only took 5 minutes. It was very near & short journey. My water break at 8.00am and we arrived at the hospital at about 9.20am. I was held up at registration & check-up until about 4.00pm, to get a bed in ward. My family has to wait in the waiting room since then.

My husband had ask for a husband friendly room for labour, but instead was cold treatment, high tone voice & ignored. There should be a form for patient who request the room and got to pay for RM30. There's a husband in the waiting room waiting to be called to enter the labour room with his wife. But instead not being called at all until everything was done. When was questioned, they said they already called the husband. Pitty to that guy. Bad service to the hospital. If the ward and labour room was full. Why don't they explain to the patients & family members. Why give cold treatment & stupid excuses. I was called to go to ward with family members. Then they were pushed out from ward because it was not visiting hours yet. Although it was only about half an hour lagi jer. Without explaining to us that they are not suppose to be in there other than visiting hours. We notice it after reading the notice board. Kesian my daughter...While I'm in the ward waiting for my family come to visit me during visiting hours. I saw a lady with her baby crying opposite my bed. She was struggling feeding her baby. The baby keep crying. Then I see her feeding him with plain water. That baby keep quiet for a while then start crying again. I saw her face was very sad, tension and tired. I feel sorry for her, I walk towards that lady and ask, "Kenapa dengan baby?". "Lapar, susu tak der", she replied. "Kenapa tak bagi susu formula? Tak minta kat nurse?", I said. "Nurse tak bagi minim botol. Kene bagi susu badan jugak. Dah minta tadi, tapi kene marah", she explains. "Teruknya nurse tu", I thought and I feels like want to feed her baby with my milk. Since i still have because i still feeding my elder daughter aged 2 and half years old. "Kak try la mintak lagi, cakap susu tak der dan baby lapar. Cakap tegas sikit, kalau tak diaorang ingat kita main-main", I said again. I feel pity for her and her baby. Then, a nurse came to her to check her BP and baby. Then I heard her asking the nurse as I told her. The nurse took the baby away to be feed. Alhamdulillah, good for her and baby. I see a relief face expression on her pale face. In my previous experience, newborn baby was placed in the nursery until the mom or dad requested to. The nurse will took care of the baby until the mom was ready or feeling better. During my waiting for labour. I see so many rude and not respecting for others act by the nurses towards the patients. The doctors so far is ok but most when being questioned always answering with and answer that nak lepas tanggungjawap. The facility in the hospital, I would say okey and at par with private hospital. But the treatment and layanan I would say, not friendly.I do ask about first class or single bedded room. Do they allowed family members to accompany or stayed in the room. No body is allowed in the room only patient. Others only allowed during visiting hours. Our previous experience husband & kids are allowed to stay in the single bedded room. This would be the first experience for me to deliver without my husband beside me. Since we don't get to get a husband friendly labour room. I was pushed to labour room at 3.30am. I was put on bed in labour room at about 4.00am. The room was berselerak and I was put on wire to monitor contractions and baby's heart beat. I was not prepared for delivery. What I mean was bed was separated into half and hang the leg. Based on my experience before. I thought of they assuming I would be delivering late at least hours since my opening was only 4 cm. But the I was in labour pain and delivered my baby at 4.21am without doctor attending. I was assist by a lady wearing blue suite happened to passed by my room. She was alone helping me in labour. Thank to her for fast action and good job. I asked her name and thanked her. But now I can't remember her name but I can see her face now in my head. I has delivered my baby at 4.21am. But my husband and daughter in the waiting room was not informed until I was pushed out from labour room to ward at 8.00am. Why they don't informed the family members that was waiting like hell in that room? At least if they had informed them, they can have breakfast, sleep or bath while wait for a bed in ward. Kesian orang. Especially children like my daughter which can't separate with their mommy. My husband was worried sick in the waiting room, scared of something bad had happened with a daughter to take care of.

Then I was send to ward at about 8.00am with family members accompanying. But I was put on katil lipat at a corner in front of toilet entrance. The bed was full and given to patients in needs, such as seizer labour patients, old and other worse cases. Later came a nurse and happens to be my cousin's wife to inject my baby his first injection: BCG. That's all was done and test on baby. In my past experience, baby was run full test and screen for physical and blood test. Search for abnormalities and problems. Baby was japed for BCG and HepB. Baby must be confirmed healthy before discharge from ward.

I was discharge from ward that evening. Happy that can go home since I saw my little girl are so tired although she so excited for her new baby brother was born. She already catch running nose. If I go home at least she can rest and have good sleep.

The next morning at about 8.00am, we called the local nurse desa informing that I have delivered. Later, the nurse came to house at 8.30am for check-up. The nurse will come to do check-up on mommy and baby daily from birth until 20th day. We also need to go to Klinik Kesihatan to have blood test for jaundice. We had to take baby to clinic everyday to have blood test and that every time his feet has to be poked. From out past experience there was no jaundice check-up until the 5th day of birth. On that day baru do blood test to see bilirubin level in baby's blood. The blood was taken by toreh baby's heel. They will run full test to see if any abnormalities. On third day, we skipped the blood test session sebab kesian tengok baby. On 4th day we went to clinic for blood test and the test result showing 274 bilirubin reading. We were asked to go to the hospital immediately. We were shocked and terpinga-pinga, why we have to go to the hospital.At the emergency counter, we ask why. They said, my baby has to be warded for jaundice. We don't want our baby to be warded without any explanation. We ask to see and a discussion with doctor. Then came a doctor and said we had to send the baby for warded because the hospital circular said so. That's not explanation! Then a Indian guy at the counter calm us down saying we can see and discuss with doctor at the pediatric ward before making decision to ward our baby and said there are beds for mommy's to stay and accompany my baby.At the pediatric ward, we went to see a doctor to discuss and have an explanation. But what we get the same answers, circular said so to ward if reading more than 250. And we ask for the procedure and is there any facility for breastfeeding mothers to be in. They said mothers only can come and breastfeeding their baby from 9.00am to 10.00pm and are not allowed to stay. In my head still remembered what that Indian guy had informed me earlier. I was confused. We urged and desak to have me stay in. But they refuse and said semua hospital sama jer. So we ask for time to discussed between us before making decision to ward our baby. We make a call to KMC for confirmation is it possible for mommy to stay with jaundice baby. But they said the same, baby has to leave. Because of that we decided to go on and warded our baby here. But suddenly, change of statement made. Mommy can stay with baby in ward and there is beds for mommy provided. Aik! Tadi kata tak der! Now, ada plak! I was happy with that answer, because I can stay and take care of my baby. I don't trust them after I see such attitudes for the past 5 days.So I was warded again with my baby and husband and daughter have to go home and only visits us during visiting hours. There are a few more other mother was asking for bed like I do, and they give the same answer as I was told at the first time. Sedangkan there is another two bed vacant.

My baby was taken to photo-therapy room.

We were warded for 3 days and 2 nights. To be continued...

No comments: